Friday, July 10, 2020

TENNIS MUMUS ANYONE??


I AM HAVING A TERRIBLE TIME WORKING

OUT!

I just can't force myself.

You'd think with all this extra time on my hands, it would be easy. Well, the first days of staying home were kind of like a reprieve. We were terrified of getting sick, the world ran out of toilet paper and coffee filters, as well as anything with bleach or isopropyl alcohol in it. My local Pavilion's even ran out of my favorite inexpensive cabernet! 

Yeats said it pretty well:

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world, The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere The ceremony of innocence is drowned; The best lack all conviction, while the worst Are full of passionate intensity. Surely some revelation is at hand; Surely the Second Coming is at hand. The Second Coming!

The center clearly could not hold. 

(Second Coming is meant as a hopeful irony.)

So I could hardly be blamed for skipping my workout! 
Right?

Then, about two weeks in--we were still working in 2-week increments, mentally--I found several
 
 core barre, yoga, and Pilates routines online, and started doing them. 
 
Every day.
Then, every other day.

Then, oh, well, a little walk would do. After all there are those who claim walking is the best exercise.

Parenthetically
 I do not dis the walkers. But my former workout week was 3 core barre classes, one fast yoga class with loud music, one swim and 2 or 3 sessions of Live-Ball Tennis.


So, friends, it diminished but I did not. I mentioned before my CABERNET-19, but the truth is I won't go near a scale.

But I recently found a combo that just might work!

There are a lot of wonderful and free workouts online. In my better days I would randomly pick one and just do it, to coin a phrase. That was before the siren call of the after-breakfast nap. 

Parenthetically
I used to fast in the morning--do my workout, play tennis and then have some food. I'd drink a green concoction, take some supplements, and only have coffee. Now, lavishly buttered baguettes or almond croissants go with the coffee.

I just read in NYT an article by Gretchen Reynolds, a regular reporter on health. You can find it titled HOW WEIGHT TRAINING CHANGES THE BRAIN. 
(www.nytimes.com/2019/07/24/well/move/how-weight-training-changes-the-brain.html?referring Source=articleShare)

I know, dated 2019 but it was in this week's paper.
Lifting weights actually changes the brain, creating NEW neurons in its memory centers.

A wonderful article that may keep me on track because I found a good half-hour yoga workout and a 15-minute beginning weight training video, and there is enough variety, and, this is key, the combo is short enough, that it's doable. Added benefits are to other aspects of memory that most of us find fault with as we age. 

The heaviest weight I use is 12 pounds in each hand. I repeat a series of 6 exercises three times, and I'm done. Perhaps I may not need to create my own line of tennis mumus. 

Now where did I put my phone?







No comments:

Post a Comment