Wednesday, September 30, 2020

THE THREE CLUELESSTEERS

 



 AM I BECOMING REPUBLICAN?

I'll admit, I am not a fan of these televised debates. Rarely do we see anything to change our already-made-up minds, nor is there much help or enlightenment. 

But a least last night's was hilarious. 

I would say it was a draw. Biden didn't falter the way his opponents hoped. Trump acted like the spoiled bully his supporters love. So, a draw.

But it was hilarious. Wallace could not control Trump, and even laughed at some of his antics. He even ended up doing Biden's job holding Trumps feet to the fire on a few issues such as taxes.

Biden got in a few punches, but in my opinion did not interrupt enough, tho' he did some.

It was funny and fun.

Why does this make me RepuIblican? Because it seems to me Republicans don't expect morality or even consistency. It's just about power and keeping their seats. And this did not start with Trump. May I remind you of states' rights? Admittedly, code for white supremacy, they were not defended when it would have cost Bush II (or Shrub, as Molly Ivins called him) the presidency. As Florida started a recount and it was taken out of the state's hands (State's Right) and given to the Supreme Court (Federal). Off with their heads, states' rights. 

That's to name an issue that may come up again.

The Republicans I allude to--and forgive me if you are a Republican of conscience, we haven't met--don't expect good behavior, respect for law and other institutions of governing, individual or minority rights (ecxcept their own, and then it's not a right by law but by power to make law). 

Consequently, they can enjoy the spectacle that is our trumped-up presidency, while they stay working hard to keep what they have and get more. Or merely aspire. 

And I, too, am beginning to enjoy the show.

2 comments: