Tuesday, October 27, 2020

AMERICAN JIHADIS?

 



MY GOOD FRIEND, born in another country but a naturalized citizen, told me she saw on the news a woman who refused to wear a mask. The maskless crusader, and I say this advisedly as well as ironically, was asked if she wasn't afraid for her health, what with Covid and all. She answered, fervently, 
"I would die for that man."  

What is this about? Is this the same impulse that sends young people strapped to bombs out into crowds?  

If, in fact, this reflects a desire to be part of something bigger, what is the something bigger here that she so stoutly identifies with?

It's not a movement, religion, mission. What is it? I think that for those who identify with the caliphate, say, or the reward of 75 virgins, there is an important (to them) goal. Unity, kingdom of Heaven, sex with inexperienced (probably) minors--dubious fun. 

I look at Trump, and most of his followers, and I see no identity. I only see contrast, opposition. He is rich. They are not. He has a lot of influence, they don't. He spends $70,000 a year on his tangelo mop. They may want to, but they don't. Until recently, he belonged to that disdained minority, Manhattanite. Mostly, they don't. Many, in fact, gloat that cities seem to them to be losing ground.Twice divorced, mostly they are not--they may wish to be but, oh, the expense! Mostly they can't afford it.

Help me with this list here. I'm not coming up with things they can identify with.

I get the anger, but is that enough? It's not his anger. I don't mean he's not angry. He clearly is. But he's angry about his dad, or slights to his ego. His accolytes are angry about real things. Low wages. Dead-end jobs. A feeling that America isn't theirs any more. But this is not his anger. Is it enough just to be angry? DOES ANGER UNITE, NO MATTER THE REASON? Is that an emotion that can dig down into anyone's psyche and say, I'm with you there. Yes, I'm pissed off. Vote for me and let's be pissed off together. 

WE may be pissed off about different things, but isn't it fun to rage in a big bunch?











 

2 comments:

  1. Right unity in anger like what’s going on in Seattle and Portland. Those are not Trump supporters that are destroying peoples businesses and cities those are left extremists.

    ReplyDelete