Tuesday, January 25, 2022

GEEZER MAGNET

 I have a very cute very red sports car. Its a convertible. I try to only own convertibles, starting with a $25 blue vw that was held togeter by duct tape in the late sixties, or early seventies. This was in Manhattan where no sane person who was not a millionaire (simpler times when only a million made you rich) had a car at all. Of course people in the boroughs could have cars, as you will see below.

When I say the VW cost $25, I meant to me. In fact I co-owned it with my two good friends, David and Lindsay.We must each have paid $25, so it really cost $75.

Lindsay and David had been roomates in a wonderful brownstone in Brooklyn, ever since Lindsay had kicked out her husband who had the stupidity to tell her he wanted her to trade in her little blue MG convertible for a station wagon. This was way before SUVs. Trying to be fair, I'll mention that they had a baby son, Eric, and probably husband found it difficust to go places as a threesome, tho the child, Eric, could sit in a lap as this was also prior to seat belts and car seat requirements. But it was fraught with symbolism. Lindsay, while acknowledging her roles of wife and mother, did not see that there was to be no more to her than that. Reminder, Lindsay was gorgeous, played piano and flute, had studied ballet for years, but was too tall to make a career of it, and was studying linguistics so she could earn a living while traveling around the world.

Selling the MG was not part of this picture, at least until she was buying her round-the-world ticket. Anyway, husband moved out and roommates moved in, one of whom was David. This was before I knew either of them. Or Eric.

Time passed and Lindsay moved to Manhattan near me, and we found ourselves taking classes at Hunter. David continued in the Brooklyn house with a variety of colorful roommates. And we all became fast friends.

David, who was studying philosophy at NYU, was a fix-anything kind of guy. So that even though we could all see the bubblegum that held the chassis to the frame, and even though there were several shades of blue represented, we bought the car.

I don't remeber how we divided the usage up, but somehow, David always had it when it needed work--go figure! It was nearly impossible to secure the car, being a ragtop and all, but as the only vehicle in our circle of friends, it was very popular. But, as I mentioned, hard to lock up. Also, part the problem in NYC was parking. Less so, of course, in our East Village neighborhood. Sometimes I had to make an ever-widening circle of my apartment in search of a spot. Which happened the night before the morning in question. I had finally found the perfect spot, where it was safe from quotq-seeking ticketers until 11am.

Which is why

david ! up one day saying he had the potential for this convertible, and did we want in? Did we ever




Car moved

borrower saying to get an antenna

talking my way out of  ticket (Italian lesson)

Oh, there is so much more to this story!

No comments:

Post a Comment