Saturday, March 21, 2020

COPING...OR NOT

Are they serious?

I called before I left, having Governor Newsom's words about only essential businesses open in mind. I called par acquit de conscience because I could not imagine anyone not thinking See's Candies is an essential business and must remain open.They said they were open now, BUT WOULD NOT BE OPEN TOMORROW OR AGAIN FOR AT LEAST 2 WEEKS! A week or ago I had bought an emergency supply which was now woefully diminished.






I had a lengthy list for the grocery store as well,  so I thought it would be  okay to venture out. 
But it was closed. They said they'd been closed all day. I must have called a different location in my panic. I stood on the sidewalk importuning the 2 lucky salespeople inside (lucky because they were in there with all that lovely chocolate). A teensy wisp of yummy fragrance wafted noseward as I stood there. They remained firm, not opening, not even finding thin packaged items that could be slid under the door. They wouldn't even try!
You can see by the contours of the above bag that I am running out. 

At Pavilions they were totally out of eggs and basket-style coffee filters. In the checkout line adjacent to mine, a young woman was saying what a random thing it was to be out of filters. I turned to ask where she had found the ones she got. She said, "This was the last one. Here." She opened her pack and plunked a wad of them into my blue-gloved hand. "I hope I don't have the virus on me," she added. I'm not worried, I pour boiling water over them. Nice, huh?

ALSO NICE, DONIZETTI'S LA FILLE DU REGIMENT


We watched the first half of a stellar production offered by the Met, free. 

On TV. Met Opera on Demand is an Apple TV App. It's also available directly on your phone or pad or computer. And you can link up your phone or whatever to your TV if it's smart.There is a free opera from their inventory every night at 7. Each opera is available for 23 hours. Fille is a hilarious story about a baby girl, found by a regiment of soldiers and raised by them. She is now, at opening, of an age and has found love. Arias and choruses and duets ensue. And a lot of marching and drinking.

We were trying to decide, in this embarrassment of riches, whether to watch the second half this afternoon--hard to do with sun streaming in--or wait until tonight's Lucia di Lammermoor, also by Donizetti, comes on. Waiting. 


This morning, pardon the no makeup and too little light, not to mention awkward angle on the legs--husband hadn't had coffee yet-- we swam. That is the one totally safe thing to do, in a chlorinated pool. I sported my new coronavirus red swimsuit.


Looking forward to more Donizetti. And ordering See's online.

No comments:

Post a Comment