Monday, March 30, 2020

OMG!

It is so easy!


I grew up in Boston, so that to say shellfish are my faves is to seriously underestimate how much I love them. 


In Martin Walker novels (start with Bruno, Chief of Police), murder and complicated financial crimes almost take a backseat to the loving devotion to food and wine typical of the Périgord. In one, his doctor tries to put him on a diet. Wait. Seriously. This is a diet I could get behind. As many of you know, oysters benefit as much from terroir, although of a watery kind, as wine. Ineffable yet definite characteristics bestowed upon the product by the land from where it grew. Or in this case water. Acres and acres of oyster beds are cultivated in a few cherished spots and the Dordogne is one of the finest. The diet the doctor prescribed to Bruno was to eat at least 3 dozen raw oysters a day to take care of an undefined malady of stomach or digestion


When once faced with the supreme healthfulness of oysters, I energetically put them back into my life. I started frequenting Happy Hour at Santa Monica Seafood Cafe (3-6 P.M. weekdays, oysters freshly shucked, $2 a pop). Then I discovered shucked oysters in their fish shop. Much cheaper. But they told me best not to eat those previously shucked oysters raw. What's a gal to do? Then I remembered a recipe I made up for 


OYSTER STEW

serves 4

2/3 lb. shucked oysters, dried off and chopped
1 smallish shallot, minced (or onion)
1 tbsp. butter
1/4 cup cream (optional)
3 to 3 1/2 cups milk
Cayenne pepper to taste (it also looks good, red in that bowl of creamy white)
Salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in a thick-bottomed saucepan. 
Toss in shallots and sauté 1 min. 'til golden crispy.
Toss in oysters, stir one more minute at med. high, then reduce to Med. low. 
Add milk and cayenne.
Heat and serve.


So easy!










2 comments:

  1. Oyster stew. I remember the frozen canned version in Boston. A pat of butter. Gourmet’s (Daddy’s)?delight.

    ReplyDelete