Thursday, March 19, 2020


How I’m Coping

Topics covered over the next few days

LD

Leisurely look at whole NYT

Food

Clean

Social

Bruce’s Key Lime Pie

The last Dinner Party on the West Side

What Brings You Joy (Marie Kondo)



Okay, I caved

Being a lazy bum is really coming in handy in these coronavirus days. This crazy time calls for me doing what I do best, basically, lazing around and when feeling more energetic, procrastinating.


I read, in different rooms, sometimes in bed. I do crosswords, eat, watch TV and rest. Oh, and the occasional nap.


My advice? First thing, try not to get up too early. A shorter day is easier to manage. I get my coffee and get back in bed to read. Sometimes I even fall back to sleep. Husband snoring peacefully beside.



There’s nothing you can do about the first item, MY Husband, no way for you to adapt or adopt. So I’ll leave that for later.

Lets do one at a time.


NYT

WE had been trying to do without the paper version of the New York Times lately, spurred by a desire to save trees and money. It was very hard for me because I do KenKen and crosswords, and they are not available in the online version (unless you pay a hefty fee,) which we bought. We decided to make a serious effort for several {unspecified} weeks, so it would be a real trial. In other words we’d give ourselves time to really get used to the new regimen before deciding it didn’t work.


Of course we caved a little, and I found myself going out Sunday mornings to The Duck Blind liquor store to buy the Sunday paper for $6. Plus tax. We had such a tradition: I got Book Review, Magazine, Styles, Front Page. Husband got Review, Business, Sports. The other sections up for grabs. But very fun is the Spelling Bee by Frank Longo in the Magazine. Doing that puzzle gave us the chance to be actual geniuses, if we got the max words, and we loved it.


To be sure, the Times called. Told us we could have it ½ price the price we had been paying (around $56 a month). We remained strong. Then, last week, they offered it for $5 a week for 12 weeks.  Now at least we have the paper every day. And

How I cope: I page through every section in a leisurely fashion (it helps that there’s hardly any sports.)

I save the puzzles for afternoon coffee.

2 comments: