Sunday, March 29, 2020

TROUBLE IN MIND


While my sister Janet said that we should look at it as if we were having 

the world's biggest slumber party, 

I must admit, it's not that festive to me.

This song, written by Richard M. Jones in the early 1920s was recorded by lots of great singers including Louis Armstrong, Nina Simone and Janis Joplin, among many others.



Trouble in mind, I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
'Cause that sun is gonna shine in my back door someday
I'm going down to the river
I'm going top take me a rocking chair
And if the blues don't leave me, I rock on away from here
Trouble in mind, I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
'Cause that sun is gonna shine in my back door someday
Trouble in mind, that's true
I have almost lost my mind
Life ain't worth living, I feel like I could die
Trouble in mind, I'm blue
My poor heart is healing slow
I've never had such trouble in my whole life before
I'm gonna lay my head on some lonesome railroad line
And let that two-nineteen special ease my troubled mind
Trouble in mind, I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
'Cause that sun is gonna shine in my back door someday
Husband and I have been watching the amazing 8-part documentary, COUNTRY MUSIC by the amazing Ken Burns.
Each part is 2 hours long and it starts in the hills in the earliest part of the last century. The series itself is particularly remarkable because of the visual as well as sound history of these earliest singers and musicians from parts of America that I knew little of, yet they had the most profound and far-reaching impact on me and the music I love today.

All American music.
I had been a folk music fan way back when, and this had led me to some of these artists, but the doc. series puts it together so movingly. We cry. I cry.
It sends me to my Home Pod to request Hank Williams and so on, but the deep deepest baritone of Hank Snow always gets me where I live. And since I've been wandering around on the verge of tears already, I thought I'd share. My trouble in mind.




No comments:

Post a Comment